WD My Passport Portable
The WD My Passport is a great portable hard drive with many options to fit all of your storage needs. The WD My Passport is USB 3.0-based and offers top capacity and fast performance in a compact, good-looking, and well-built package. It also comes with useful software, and it’s very affordable. It is most known for its ability to automatically back up your files by working quietly to protect your data, it’s extremely high capacity, sleek design in a compact design and password protection to encrypt and protect your drive. There is nothing to setting it up. You simply plug it into your computer and it is ready for use. Plus, your USB ports power the drive. If you’re looking for a portable drive for backup or storage expansion purposes, both at home on your desktop or while on the go using your laptop computer, the new WD My Passport makes an excellent choice.
Sleek and Compact Design
Put your digital life on the high capacity WD My Passport portable hard drive. If you were to judge it by looks you would never guess that the WD My Passport offered top capacity in its class. WD My Passport offers massive 2TB capacity in an amazingly small enclosure. It features ultra-fast USB 3.0 connectivity, USB 2.0 compatibility, automatic backup software, and hardware encryption to help protect your files from unauthorized use with plenty of room to store all your files. A single drive with universal compatibility today and next-generation speed for tomorrow; Use it with USB 2.0 now and step up to USB 3.0 speed when you’re ready. Massive capacity in this small, stylish drive that is powered directly from the USB port on your desktop or laptop; No separate power supply is needed!
What’s in the box – WD My Passport Portable hard drive, Automatic backup software, WD Security software, WD Drive Utilities software, USB cable and Quick Install Guide.
- “This drive is very small and could fit into a man’s shirt pocket. It is an USB 3.0 drive which makes the transfer of files very fast. It uses the power from your USB port. You can plug it into a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port. Please keep in mind that because it is powered by the USB port, that some older laptop computers cannot power some of the external hard drives that need power from them. I have had this drive for several months and it gets a work out. Because it has worked so well I purchased another. I waited a few months to write this review to really test it. Anyone can write a review of something that they just bought! The second drive works just as well as the first. Both drives are very quiet. 2TB of storage is quite impressive in such a small package. Well done Western Digital. This is a FIVE STAR product. Art D Long Island N.Y.”
- “I am very satisfied with this external drive. Within 10 minutes of opening the package I was transferring pictures onto it. I have Windows 7. I opened the package up, undid the cord, plugged it into the computer and it took about 5 minutes to locate and install drivers and then I was good to go. I transferred over 300 pictures right away; lightning fast and it didn’t even make a dent on the space available. It has 5-star performance, but a bonus is that it looks 5-star too. Very compact and stylish. It has a user manual installed with it that has more languages than I’ve seen on any other product, so if English isn’t your first language you are set with instructions. The product includes 30 days of free telephone support during the warranty period that starts with the first call you make to tech support. Email support is free through the entire warranty period. I have not had to use tech support so it hasn’t applied, but that is good to know.”
- “Received this external drive in a timely manner, and is exactly what I wanted. I like that it is USB 3.0 & 2.0. Drive is completely silent, and doesn’t need external power to run. Small enough to fit in my hand. I am glad that I chose this drive.”
- “Got this little drive to archive our photos on. So far it has not disappointed. It does not make any noise or generate much heat at all. The USB 3.0 is super-fast too.”
- “Pros:InexpensiveFast with USB 3.0Ships internationallyCons:
None so far, besides the ridiculous fact that some colors cost more than others.”
Product Features of the WD My Passport
- *Sleek, compact design
- *Connectivity today; speed for tomorrow
- *2-Year Limited Warranty
- “You can’t have too much memory. I upgraded from 750GB to 2TB, and I’m happy I did so. Access lag is negligible, I’ve had no memory/data corruption or loss issues at all, and it never gets warm, despite being in a case full time (see my review for the WD Nomad Rugged Case for details on that – I highly recommend that as well).”
- “It doesn’t take up much room, and it’s a perfect backup device. Backups are automatic so you don’t have to remember to manually backup changed files. Make sure you go in and set the number of versions of a document you want to save, or you can run out of room pretty quickly. The software allows you to save from 1-5 versions of a document.”
- “This works right out of the box with my Mac desktop. I just plugged it in and started using the Time Machine software. Don’t bother spending the extra money for the one that is “mac formatted”.”
In summary, I would highly recommend the WD My Passport Portable hard drive because of its sleek, compact design combined with high capacity and ease of use makes it a no brainer.